- On the main menu, press the “Settings” button.
- Press “Add Contacts” and enter the name, phone number, and/or email of at least one of the contacts.
What devices does the app work on?
Does the app work on tablets?
Can children access and use the app?
How does it work?
How do I customize my character?
How much does it cost?
Is the app available outside the United States?
Where is my data stored and what happens if I lose/upgrade my device?
What if my physician prefers not to receive email and/or texts from patients?
Does the app automatically send anything (personal medical data, crisis/pain records, etc.)?
Can I send email to some contacts and texts to others at the same time?
Is there a helpline or support feature?
Is the app available in languages other than English?
Can more than one person use the app on the same device?
Q: What devices does the app work on?
A: Go to www.crisisVOICE.com/download for the most up-to-date listing of app stores that carry the app for your device(s).
Q: Does the app work on tablets?
Q: Can children access and use the app?
A: Children younger than 13 years old must obtain the consent of a parent or legal guardian before they can use the app, in accordance with internet child privacy laws. Parents should go to www.crisisVOICE.com/parental-consent, complete the Parental Consent Form, and return it to us by email, fax or mail and we will email them an access code for their child to use the app.
Q: How does it work?
A: VOICE Crisis Alert is used to record your crisis pain and then communicate that with the person(s) of your choice. Below is a step-by-step walkthrough of how to add a contact, record a pain event, communicate it to your contact(s), view your pain history, and view/edit your Crisis Care summary page:
- On the main menu, press the “I’m in Pain” button.
- Press a location on the character where you are experiencing pain. Note: If you want to select a pain site on the back of the body, press the “flip” icon in the lower left corner of the screen.
- Move the slider between 1 and 10 to match the level of pain and press “Save” to record this pain location.
- Select another site of pain and repeat the pain level selection or, if you’re done selecting locations, press “Done” at the bottom of the screen.
- Select the interventions you have attempted. If you checked your temperature, enter your measured temperature in the box.
- Press “Save.” You will return to the main menu.
- To communicate your pain record, you must first enter at least one contact (see “Enter Your Contacts” above).
- On the main menu, press the “VOICE Your Crisis” button.
- Select one or more contacts you would like to receive the pain record.
- Select the type of message, email or text message.
- A message is generated in your device’s email or text messaging program, depending on which type of communication you selected. If you like, you can edit and/or add to the message before sending.
- Press “Send” to send your email or text message.
- On the main menu, press the “Pain History” button.
- The default view is the past 7 days. You may select to view the past 90, 60, 30, or 7 days, or the past 24 hours by pressing the buttons on the right side of the chart.
- Chest and head pain records are highlighted white and labeled with the severity of pain recorded. “Chest” is abbreviated by a “C”. “Head” is abbreviated by an “H”.
Q: How do I customize my character?
A: To access the character personalization, press the “gear” icon shown in the top right corner of the pain site selection screen. The current skin tone, hairstyle, shirt, pant, and shoe options will appear on the right side of your screen. Press on the feature you would like to change and the available options will appear. Press on the option you would like and it will be applied to your character. Repeat this process to change other character features. When you are done, press the “gear” icon again to remove the personalization options from the screen.
Q: How much does it cost?
A: VOICE Crisis Alert is absolutely free!
Q: Is the app available outside the United States?
A: VOICE Crisis Alert is currently only available for download within the United States.
Q: Where is my data stored and what happens if I lose/upgrade my device?
A: All of the data recorded by VOICE Crisis Alert is stored only on your device. There is no backup of your data. Your data is private, except to the extent you choose to share it with contacts you select. because the data is stored only on your device, if you lose your phone, you will also lose any records that have been generated by the app. A data export/backup feature may be available in a future version of the app, so always update the app when prompted.
Q: What if my physician prefers not to receive email and/or texts from patients?
A: Some physicians may wish to only receive emails or texts from patients through the normal channels provided by the hospital, clinic or practice. Even if your physician elects not to be contacted by patients directly, you can still use VOICE Crisis Alert to review your pain history recorded by the app during an office visit. Physicians may designate someone from their support staff to receive and relay messages.
Q: Does the app automatically send anything (personal medical data, crisis/pain records, etc.)?
A: No. Only the data that you select to share by pressing “Send” after you generate an email or text message will be sent to your chosen contact(s).
Q: Can I send email to some contacts and texts to others at the same time?
A: With the current version of the app if you need to send email and text to different contacts, simply follow the Communicating Your Pain Record procedure shown above first for email recipients, and then repeat the process for text recipients. This feature may be added for future versions of the app, so always update the app when prompted.
Q: Is there a helpline or support feature?
A: Not at this time. A support and tutorial page is planned to be included at www.crisisVOICE.com, please check back soon.
Q: Is the app available in languages other than English?
A: The app is available in English only. Additional language support may be available in a future version of the app, so always update the app when prompted.
Q: Can more than one person use the app on the same device?
A: The app currently supports only one user profile. A multiple user feature may be available in a future version of the app, so please update the app when prompted.